USA / CAN 512-879-6546

MX 01800-1222-TOP


Mexico Resident Pensioner Visa: How to Retire in Mexico

One of the most common permits obtained by Mexican Foreigners is the Resident Pensioner visa (FM3 or FM2) On a previous post, the classification of the differences between non-resident, temporary resident, and permanent residents was outlined The Resident Pensioner permit (temporary resident) is described as those foreigners who want to live in retirement in M xico, subsisting on funds, interest bearing securities or pensions generated from any country other than Mexico.

Retiring in MexicoApplications for FM-3 and FM-2 can be realized at any Mexican Immigration Office within Mexico, or at any Mexican Consulate It is also a good note to point out that depending on the office or consulate that you contact, the requirements of documentation for application may vary But below I have put a list that I consider as … a general starting point

To obtain a Mexico Resident Pensioner Permit you must submit:

a) an application filled out of your request to change of migration status to Resident Pensioner

b) an official identification (passport) and your FMT visa

c) a letter made out to the National Institute of Migration, outlining your reasons for your request to establish residency in Mexico (letter must be written in Spanish)

d) a letter from your financial institution or trust demonstrating your income generated from abroad with a yield above $12,500 pesos monthly

*(some offices may only require bank statements, or monthly statements for 3 consecutive months demonstrating these incomes)

** (for each family member that is dependent, the amount of income will increase by $750 usd per member)

*** (if the non-Mexican has purchased real estate in Mexico for residential purposes, the National Institute of Migration may reduce the required monthly income by as much as 50%)

As mentioned above, some requirements may vary depending on the migration or consulate office that you insert your application Below is an estimated cost to obtain these permits quoted from Quintana Roo and on this date.

$444.00 pesos for the application

$1,172.00 pesos once the applicant has been approved and processed

service fees for the coordination of this document again varies depending on the location and the company offering such services The service fees may run as low as $250 usd upto $900 usd

Thomas Lloyd graduated from Purdue University Krannert School of Management with a degree in Management/Financial Option Investments. He has been living, investing, and working professionally in Mexico for over 15 years. Active broker and current president of TOPmexicorealestate, you can contact him at (512) 879-6546 or through the company`s web site

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Comments on this entry are closed.

  • Dennis Klein February 18, 2012, 3:28 pm

    My significant other and I had a homebuilt in Huatulco. We’re planning to leave Wisconsin November 1st of 2012. We’d like to get all the paperwork for a residency visa completed before we get to
    the border. I know there’s a Mexican consulate in Chicago. Any thoughts on how to find references on competent attorneys to guide us thru the procedure?

  • Villeneuve Louis December 17, 2009, 2:26 pm

    I would like to get a visa for my wife and me to live in Mexico. For the next 5 years I will get revenues from putside of Mexico and I will retire afterwards. My wife is an artist( painter) and our preferred places would be San Miguel d’Allende or Playa Del Carmen.

Top Mexico Real Estate logo ® Copyright 2014 . All Rights Reserved.

Reg 17 Sm. 5 Mz. 2 Lt. 2 Calle 85 Sur
entre Av. Arco Vial Col. Ejido Sur
Playa del Carmen, QROO, Mexico  

- Privacy Policy