When you search for real estate in the same area where you currently live, it’s easy do a very “linear” search; you see a home either by driving by it, or searching online or in a real estate magazine. You go and see the home; if you don’t like it, you just start again. The search can be one or two homes at a time.
When you are searching for Mexico real estate, thousands of miles away, you don’t have this luxury. You will want to make the most of your trips to Mexico to avoid extending the time or having to make multiple trips simply during the search stage.
The following are some tips that can help you accomplish this:
- Work with a professional agent who knows the area well
- Engage in an active dialogue with this agent about your needs; be sure they know your budget, style and location preferences and any specific needs
- Use whichever forms of communication necessary – phone, e-mail, chat, video chat, etc.
- Use all resources available to evaluate the suggestions he sends you – listings, photos, videos, maps, pamphlets
- Ask questions & give your agent feedback on the properties, positive and negative
This process will allow your agent to use their experience and knowledge of the market to put together a dossier of properties that hold high potential to be the right one. When you arrive, this same agent will arrange the property visits in an organized and time efficient way.
The process described will also allow you to develop a better idea of what you’re looking for, and make decisions with more confidence.
While there’s never 100% certainty that one of the properties in the initial dossier will be the one for you, planning like this increases the probability and in all cases makes much better use of your time when you are actually in Mexico!
Andy Welbourne, from London, Ontario, has been living in Playa del Carmen and working as a part of the team with Thomas Lloyd for 7 years. He has worked with many Canadians and Americans to assist in finding their dream home in the Mexican Caribbean; many of these clients have turned into great friendships. Contact Andy at (512) 879-6546.
The TOP Mexico Real Estate Network; “Mexico’s Leading Network of Specialists for Finding and Purchasing Mexican Properties Safely!”