Although most Americans and Canadians tend to lump the Mexican Caribbean together as one big tourist/real estate region, there are clear distinctions between Cancun real estate and Tulum real estate. Here we will explore both some of the similarities and differences.
- Beaches – The beaches of the Mexican Caribbean are legendary, and it is a point which all the major real estate markets in the area share in common. They stretch out for miles upon miles, and are white with warm, soft sand. The water is also warm and has a beautiful turquoise color.
- Access – While the main international airport is in Cancun, this airport offers easy, direct, frequent and cheap access to the whole of the Mexican Caribbean. Shuttle buses will take residents to Tulum for a very reasonable price, arriving in under 2 hours.
- Weather & Nature – Year-round warm weather is one of the main attractions for the area. Real estate owners in Cancun and Tulum alike can enjoy the beaches, riding bike, sight-seeing, diving, fishing and golf all year round.
- Lifestyle Value – Although the lifestyle differs somewhat, both markets offer a very appealing lifestyle of relaxation and comfort. This factor also helps to give the properties good resale value and potential for return on investment.
- Main Property Focus – Cancun’s property focus is on beachfront condos with spectacular views and close access to the malls and restaurants. While Tulum condos for sale are also an excellent choice, they are usually not on the beachfront (generally a bike ride away,) and the number one focus in Tulum is land, since it is a growing community.
- Size of the Community – Cancun is a full city of over 600,000 residents. While it is most certainly relaxing, it is also on the move – residents can choose between the two options. Tulum, on the other hand, is still barely a town and appeals to people who enjoy more direct contact with the area’s natural surroundings.
- Services – Cancun, of course, offers more services, including everything from state-of-the-art hospitals to movie theaters and golf course. Tulum has many of these in the plans; in the meantime, real estate owners in Tulum have the basics (including a Walmart) and reasonable driving access to services in Playa del Carmen (about 1 hour) and Cancun (less than 2 hours.)
Which market is a better buy? That depends on each buyer’s needs and tastes. The advice of a qualified and experienced broker from the area can help in choosing.
TOPMexicoRealEstate.com; Mexico's Leading Network of Specialists for Finding and Purchasing Mexican Properties Safely
Mexico Real Estate NETWORK; "Mexico's Leading Network of Specialists for Finding and Purchasing Mexican Properties Safely!"
Region: Mazatlan real estate Thomas Lloyd graduated from Purdue University Krannert School of Management with a degree in Management/Financial Option Investments. He has been living, investing, and working professionally in Mexico for over 15 years. A Mexican Certified Realtor he is the current president of TOPmexicorealestate, you can contact him at (512) 879-6546.
Find Thomas Lloyd on Google+