When you start planning your Playa del Carmen retirement, if your final goal is to have a single-lot home, you have two primary options to consider – buying a Playa del Carmen home for sale or Playa del Carmen land for sale. The following are a few tips to help you decide which will work better for you.
Advantages of Buying a Complete Home in Playa del Carmen
- Established Community – If you buy a complete home in Playa del Carmen, you will usually be enjoying life in an established community from the beginning. The advantages are you can see exactly what it’s like and you will have any services available already. Some retirees simply like the feeling of moving into something which is already “working.” Some nice established communities with good options for homes include Playacar and Puerto Aventuras.
- Ready to Use – The advantage of the home itself is similar; immediately after gaining legal ownership, you will be able to enjoy the property. It’s also becoming more common in Playa del Carmen that homes are being sold furnished and ready to move into – “turnkey.”
- Mortgage/Financing Options – In Mexico, mortgages have become available and common for non-Mexican buyers in recent years. Playa del Carmen specifically has several bank branches which have experience working directly with Americans, Canadians and Europeans. This experience means the process is likely to go more smoothly.
Advantages of Buying a Lot and Building
- Lower Prices – Typically, land in Playa del Carmen’s newer gated communities is low enough priced that buyers can find significant overall savings if they buy land and build. On top of this, the initial investment is lower. These points are especially appealing to those planning ahead.
- Build Your Dream Home – If you have a home built on a lot you buy, that home can be built exactly as you want it; this will be your dream home. This can hold specific appeal for retirees, since features such as one-story construction can be specifically planned for.
- New Community Growth – Playa del Carmen has several new gated communities where lots can be found, such as the newer area just north of town (Xcalacoco beach) and a few gated communities a little back from the beach. Some retirees like to be part of new community growth.
To make your choice easier, ask an experienced agent to show you a couple of options in each; the choice of which is better for you will probably become obvious.
TOPMexicoRealEstate.com; Mexico's Leading Network of Specialists for Finding and Purchasing Mexican Properties Safely