The village of Akumal and the Akumal real estate market are so close and closely related to Tulum – only 20 minutes away - that many people simply lump them together. While this is most certainly justifiable on many points, there are also distinctions. For the sake of seeing this distinction, let’s compare Tulum homes for sale and Tulum condos for sale to their counterparts in Akumal. The following are some of the similarities and differences.
- Nature & Jungle – Both communities are located in the middle of Mayan jungle, and both communities have made very clear efforts to preserve this nature, integrate into the town’s atmosphere and offer access to residents to enjoy it and learn about it. While Tulum is gaining a reputation for hosting events like “Eco Glamour,” Akumal is home to the Akumal Ecological Center which focuses on educating people on the sea turtles and the coral reef.
- Eco-homes – Both communities have a considerable presence of eco-friendly homes which use sustainable principles to reduce the impact on the environment. Many luxury homes can be found that have integrated these features in such a way so owners hardly notice (except in the lack of electricity bill!) and others are designed to make people feel like they are really living in the middle of a jungle paradise.
- Boom, Growth and Investment – Tulum is currently undergoing the beginnings of its real estate and tourism boom. This means that there are excellent real estate opportunities for investment. This can include both potential for appreciation (more in Tulum) and rental income (more in Akumal). Yet the way in which the communities are working with upcoming growth differs somewhat.
- Town vs. Village – While Tulum is fully planning to be the hub and center of the boom, while still preserving its small-town atmosphere as well as natural focus, Akumal is taking more the approach of the quiet village next door. As tourism, real estate and demand increase in Tulum, it is likely that demand will also increase in Akumal. Akumal will not grow as much, but there is excellent potential for higher rental income and appreciation.
- Beachfront Locations – Part of the reason for this is that Akumal is located directly on the beachfront; Tulum, on the other hand, has seen most of its development back from the beach around the town center, reserving its beachfront for carefully planned future growth.
Both Akumal and Tulum are excellent investments in terms of lifestyle and finances; buyers will do well to consider both options carefully.
TOPMexicoRealEstate.com; Mexico's Leading Network of Specialists for Finding and Purchasing Mexican Properties Safely
Mexico Real Estate NETWORK; "Mexico's Leading Network of Specialists for Finding and Purchasing Mexican Properties Safely!"
Region: Tulum real estate
Thomas Lloyd graduated from Purdue University Krannert School of Management with a degree in Management/Financial Option Investments. He has been living, investing, and working professionally in Mexico for over 15 years. A Mexican Certified Realtor he is the current president of TOPmexicorealestate, you can contact him at (512) 879-6546.
Find Thomas Lloyd on Google+