Finding someone – anyone, who doesn’t like Mexican food is a rather difficult task. One of Mexico’s biggest contributions to the world is its culinary delights! Everyone in North America knows how delicious Mexican food is. Can you think of very many places that you have visited where you can’t get Mexican food? And we are not talking Taco Bell. Mexican food isn’t just tacos, burritos and tamales. It also includes fully prepared dishes that use fresh fish, pork and chicken as the main ingredient/course.
“Tastes great and is good for you!”
Mexico is noted on CNN’s Top 10 World-Best-Food list. CNN Travel boast that they “Celebrate the best cultural foods and lambaste the others”. Mexico’s unique cuisine is not only tasty, but quite healthy as well. By using such ingredients as peppers, avocados, limes and plenty of beans provide you with an abundance of antioxidants, proteins and other nourishing vitamins and minerals. It “Tastes great and is good for you!” What more do you need?
Anyone who hasn’t had the opportunity to try ‘real’ authentic Mexican dishes are missing out. You won’t get them from corporate chains or fast food joints. You need to search out places that are not so popular or not-so fancy looking buildings. Although, the best option is to visit Mexico itself. Mexican families who own or operate restaurants are the ones who usually prepare the most unique and authentic Mexican food.
Delicious dishes some people haven’t tried
CNN Travel site rated Tacos – soft shell, and Fajitas – mixed meats, being among India’s Masala Dosa (crepes), the UK’s Fish & Chips and Pecking Duck from China as some of the best foods in the world. However, Mexico has many prepared foods that most people have never tried let alone heard of. Such dishes as:
- Chilaquiles – a breakfast dish that consist of fried corn tortillas, chili peppers, eggs and chicken served with a cheese and sour cream topping.
- Pozole is a soup that is served with a broth that has chicken, hominy and plenty of herbs and spices. It is topped with radishes, onion, lime and chili.
- Chile en Nogada is one of Mexico’s most patriotic dishes that displays the colors of Mexico’s flag. It is a Poblano pepper stuffed with a variety of ingredients that is well known to the region.
- Enchiladas are one of the favorite dishes for visitors to Mexico. They are corn tortillas stuffed with your choice of meats, beans, rice and vegetables top with a green or red sauce and cheese.
- Mole (pronounced Mol-eh’), is a sauce that is made up of approximately 20 ingredients that include Mole Poblano chili. It is a deep brown in color and is poured over a variety of prepared foods.
The above are only a few popular dishes that are “Must try” cuisines. The more common Mexican foods we are familiar with are tamales, tostados and guacamole. Mexico uses all the food groups to create their delicious dishes. In addition, poultry, pork and seafood seem to be the most popular choices.
Some history about Mexican food
Mexico’s world renowned cookeries started out over 7,000 years ago. Several Mesoamerican communities – tribes such as the Mayans, Olmec, Huastec, Zapotec and Purepecha to mention a few – are responsible for these now favorite cuisines. The Aztec Empire brought all these multi-ethnic societies together along with their culinary creations. Even though wheat and rice where introduced to Mexico’s culture, corn and chili peppers stayed as the main ingredients.
Enjoying authentic Mexican food either abroad or in your home town, its a unique and tasty experience. Every cuisine has a complimentary cordial that accents the experience. Mexico also has several adult beverages that are very popular and that’s cerveza – beer, and tequila. Add all these elements together, along with the colorful ambience that the Mexico’s culture brings and you have a perfect dining experience. “Disfruta!” (Enjoy).