One of the many motivations to buy Playa del Carmen real estate is close contact with ancient mysteries of the Mayan culture. Tomorrow a very special annual event, a boat crossing called the “Sacred Mayan Journey,” will take place in the strait between Playa del Carmen and the island of Cozumel, also allowing Cozumel real estate owners to enjoy the part of the event on the island.
As the website for the Sacred Mayan Journey points out:
The Sacred Mayan Journey will take place at Xcaret for the 6th consecutive year. This event recreates one of the most ancient traditions of the Mayan culture; the yearly pilgrimage of the Maya, who braved the ocean on their canoes and crossed to the island of Cozumel to worship the goddess Ixchel.
The event will begin in at 5:30 in the evening, May 17, 2012, at Xcaret park, just south of Playa del Carmen. Some of the features of the event include:
- an incredible display of folklore and music, with more than 300 artists
- an interactive Mayan Market
- Mayan dances and ceremonies
- blessing and departure of the oarsmen in their canoes (5:30 AM on May 18)
- ancient Mayan welcome dances and songs (Cozumel)
- ancient rituals and ceremonies for the goddess Ixchel
- return journey (Cozumel 5:30 AM on May 19)
- welcome and concluding ceremonies in Xcaret
This year, the 6th after the ritual’s re-instatement, is especially important since 2012 is the end of the Mayan calendar, marking the beginning of a new era.
The event is a beautiful way for residents to delve into the ancient mysteries of the Mayans, and offers something exciting for future residents to look forward to in years to come.
See more at the official website:
TOPMexicoRealEstate.com; Mexico’s Leading Network of Specialists for Finding and Purchasing Mexican Properties Safely