While most of our community spotlight posts focus on a community in the more standard sense – i.e. a neighborhood within a city, a town, a gated community, etc. – today I want to highlight a very intriguing place to own Tulum real estate – Sian Kaan Biosphere Reserve.
Sian Ka’an is most certainly not a community in the normal senses; it is a huge natural area full of untouched flora and fauna. Yet, there are people who live within the reserve, as well as real estate investment opportunities.
From the Sian Kaan official website, we find the following facts:
- It is the largest protected area in the Mexican Caribbean (approximately 1.3 million acres)
- Established January 20th 1986 as part of UNESCO’s Man and the Biosphere Program
- UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Unique for its geography and wetlands
- 23 known archeological sites (with relics dating up to 2,300 years old)
- 103 known mammal species
- 336 known bird species
- Nesting ground for many species of wading birds
- Annual rainfall between 44 and 48 inches
- Important nesting site for two endangered sea turtle species
- Believed to be inhabited in the Pre-Classic and Classic Periods in the chieftanships of Cohuah and Uaymil
- Currently home to over 2,000 inhabitant
Residential Real Estate
Note that last poing – over 2000 inhabitants! While this is very small considering the size of the reserve – 1.3 million acres – it shows that there are a few places where those seaking a natural, off-the-grid lifestyle can live within the reserve. One example is the beachfront lot we highlighted about a month ago.
Investment Real Estate
While any home or lot in the Riviera Maya is an investment, Sian Kaan has a number of small eco-hotels available for sale as well as large villas that could make a wonderful bed and breakfast.
Anyone interested in running their own small business while at the same time contributing to people’s awareness of the beautiful nature in this reserve. While all properties are completely off-the-grid (there is no “grid” within Sian Ka’an) there are plenty of alternative energy solutions in Tulum; this is also part of the experience of the eco lifestyle for residents and visitors to Sian Ka’an.
Andy Welbourne, from London, Ontario, has been living in Playa del Carmen and working as a part of the team with Thomas Lloyd for 7 years. He has worked with many Canadians and Americans to assist in finding their dream home in the Mexican Caribbean; many of these clients have turned into great friendships. Contact Andy at (512) 879-6546.
The TOP Mexico Real Estate Network; “Mexico’s Leading Network of Specialists for Finding and Purchasing Mexican Properties Safely!”