There are so many things we love about Merida: its history, culture and the warmth of the Yucatecans. There are so many things to do, in and out of the city, that a whole lifetime is not enough!
When it comes to Merida Real Estate, there are so many options: the majestic colonial houses, the charm of the French inspired mansions on Paseo Montejo, the quirky art deco houses passing through the mid-century homes and modern developments.
Whatever style inspires you, Merida will have something for you! Here is a brief list of the characteristics of each kind of property.
Merida Real Estate: Colonial Houses
Colonial houses were built after the arrival of the Spaniards to the Peninsula in 1592, only a century after the discovery of America. Some of the characteristics of these buildings are:
- Simple lines, sober facades
- Use of semi-circular arches
- Use of Tuscan and Roman columns
- Rustic finishes, or use of masonry on walls
- Balconies on the street level
- Use of masonry in the corners of the building
- High beamed ceilings
- Pasta floors
If you want to have a colonial home, but without the hassle of remodeling, there are many properties on our website. Casa AlegrÃa is a good example, if you want to have a look at a real colonial property, feel free to click here.
Merida Real Estate: French Inspired Mansions
Merida experienced a transformation at the beginning of the 20th century, mostly after the success of the Sisal industry. The development of this industry allowed Yucatecan families to travel to Europe and New Orleans and bring new building ideas back to use on their mansions.
If you walk or drive along Paseo de Montejo, you will experience a mix of styles, the use of the new colonial structures to merge in eclecticism. Eclecticism has four main currents: Neoclassic, French style, baroque and neo-gothic.
Some of the elements that can be seen on these buildings are:
- Verticality in doors and windows
- The entrance of the house is above the ground level and far from the road
- Stairwell to the entrance of the house
- Double high ceilings in the foyer
- Use of semi-basements
- Ornamental use of iron and wood
- Use of decorative elements such as: nature inspired elements, coats of arms, etc.
An excellent example of this kind of building is the Dream Villa, and believe us; it was not named lightly. Have a look at Dream Villa, and enjoy the mix of French charm and modern amenities.
Merida Real Estate: Art Deco Houses
Art Deco was a foreign influence, it started being used in the thirties, and some of its features are:
- Verticality predominates in the facade marked by ridges
- Rectangular blocky forms were often arranged in geometric fashion, and then broken up by curved ornamental elements.
- Use of materials like: stucco, concrete, smooth-faced stone, and Terracotta.
- Use of modern elements like steel and aluminum as well as glass blocks and decorative opaque plate glass (vitrolite).
- Use of decorative motifs with geometric and naturalistic elements.
- Access with stepped porches
Some representative Art Deco buildings in Merida are:Â La Nacional (1936), Teatro Merida/ Armando Manzanero, Cine Rex, Faculty of Medicine (1952) and the former Psychiatric hospital.
Merida Real Estate: Mid Century Homes
Functionalism develops in the Yucatan Peninsula until the forties overlapping with Art Deco and nationalism influences for some years. The concepts of this style are:
- The design as a result of the function
- The lack of ornament
- It aims for economy, endurance, comfort and durability
- Designed for the masses
- Flat extended roofs, overhead
- Slight columns
- Large windows
- Low ceilings
- Large terraces
Have a look at this mid-century home, a house that can be brought back to its former glory with a little TLC.
Merida Real Estate: Modern Developments
If you like modern architecture and amenities, nothing is better than a modern home in the northern area of the city. These subdivisions have been designed with all the comforts of life in mind. Here is a good example of a modern home in MÃ©rida.
As you can see, some of the characteristics of a modern home are:
- Overall simplicity
- Use of the space as a grid
- Right angles are considered as decoration
- Use of contrasts between light and dark areas
With so many architectural styles and options in Meridaâ€™s Real Estate, you are going to feel like a kid in a candy store! Browse our properties in Merida and enjoy the beauty of old and modern homes, we are sure you will find the home of your dreams.
Top Mexico Real Estate is a local American – Owned Company, with almost a decade experience helping foreigners become homeowners in Mexico. Our buyerâ€™s representatives are here for you, please feel free to contact us if you want to learn more about Meridaâ€™s Real Estate.
And remember, here at Top Mexico Real Estateâ€¦
We Make It Happen!