Do you ever get the urge to change things around? Give your surrounding space a new theme or a totally new look? It is a human instinct to want change periodically. Looking at the same décor every day and night dulls the mind and clouds the visual senses. We would like to suggest a few ideas that might help with either a minor or full-on décor rejuvenation to give your home a new look.
There are four basic strategic changes you can make to your home’s interior that will create a new look. The following changes will also include accents that complement your highlighted choice(s). Here are some updates you can add to your new home in Mexico:
Let’s look at one of the most obvious changes that will give your home a new look and that is paint
Paint can change a room’s size, look and surrounding motif. Paint can also take a drab looking space and make it look vibrant. Consider using shades and/or tones that compliment your furniture, artwork and even the outdoor environment. Here are a couple rules of thumb that may help your painting plans.
- Choose neutral colors that can accept a variety of furniture tones. Also take into consideration your couches and chairs that have patterns in their cushions.
- If you add an accent wall, remember to go with a slightly darker tone, but stay with a color that complements.
- Vibrant colors excite a room, but offer limited changes in design when the time comes to update and/or change motif. Again, think neutral colors that can coordinate together easily.
Selecting the right sheen(s) that match the rooms various lighting. Take note:
- A flat sheen absorbs light and lessens the room’s brightness. Especially in rooms that get a lot of natural light. A flat sheen also hides imperfections in the walls themselves.
- A popular sheen is Eggshell. It’s a low-luster sheen that is slightly brighter than Flat/Flat Matte. It gives a slight glow when light hits its surface.
- Satin reflects light and brightens a room. It will also give a dull room volume when light is present.
- A Semi-Gloss brightens, creates volume and is very durable for a well-used space. The downside is that it brings out the imperfections of the wall’s surface.
Another way to bring out a rooms appearance is furniture and well placed rugs.
Let’s start with furniture
There are a few options when considering changing around your chairs and couches. The less expensive way would be to change out the cushions and add new accent pillows. Changing up or refiguring coordinating patterns can give your room(s) a new and refreshing new look. This also works well with built in furniture.
If you decide to replace your current furniture, think about a design that can adapt to future theme changes. Consider colors like off whites, pale pastels or earth tones. These pantone shades are easy to blend with wall, table and/or free standing artwork. Using throw rugs are also a perfect addition in accenting a room.
After selecting paint and choosing your furniture arrangement, the next step is to accent your surroundings
The saying goes, “Less is more” which means just that, don’t overdo it. Strategically placing knick knacks or pieces of artwork can highlight a space. Coordinate a color that relates to a theme and/or look for a one of a kind item that will add a ‘wow’ factor to your room. Plants are also a great addition to spaces. Make sure they stay trimmed, kept in pots that blend to your décor and don’t get real bushy.
A change that doesn’t always get recognized immediately, but will enhance the decor and will speak volumes is window treatments. Upgraded shades, sheers or drapes draw casual attention, which is perfect touch to any room. Other simple changes you can consider are upgrading your ceiling fans or light fixtures. They also add value to your home.
A few of the simpler decorating suggestions can be done on an annual or seasonal basis. After doing a major freshening up, you can then make slight changes by simply switching out – adding to, or taking away accent pieces. Change can also come by just repositioning certain items from room to room. Whatever changes you make will always be an inviting atmosphere to your guest and at the same time, keep your senses alive!
Remember, at Top Mexico Real Estate… We make it happen!