I love museums with ancient animals, scientific discoveries and stuff like that. I also love planetariums – they’re just so amazing to see!
The good news is that Cancun will be getting a planetarium VERY soon, which will be great for anyone living in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Tulum – and even for those in Merida or Costa Maya.
Here are some details I found in a local Spanish news source:
- –It will be opening on July 19 (tomorrow!)
- –It will be called the Ka’Yok Scientific, Technological and Cultural Planetarium Complex of Cancun
- –“Ka’Yok” means “window to the universe” in Maya
- –The planetarium will be one of 10 most advanced in the world in terms of scientific and technological equipment
- –It will feature cutting-edge technological tools, interactive and multimedia, as well as a more advanced projection system to show images of stars on a perforated aluminum screen 12 meters in diameter
- –The observatory will be equipped with a 16-inch telescope, educational workshops, a museum on the Mayan science of space.
- –The complex was built in a record time of seven months with an investment of about 40 million pesos (about $3.2 million USD.)
- –The complex consists of the planetarium, the observatory, a water museum, an eco-technology park, an auditorium and botanical gardens.
This sounds like it will be quite the place to visit, with plenty to do both for families and for retired couples. I can’t wait to make a trip out there.