Most people considering Mexico real estate for their retirement have heard of and probably considered Lake Chapala real estate; so many retirees from the U.S. and Canada have moved there that it is hard not to associate the two ideas. Surprisingly, Lake Chapala is nothing like Mexico’s very popular beachfront areas. So why, then, is this place so popular? The following are a few of the reasons.
- Lake views – Just like the beaches are the most attractive feature of the oceanfront locations, one of the most attractive points in the towns along Lake Chapala are the views of the lake and the surrounding hills, covered with forest. For most buyers it is not too important to be directly on the lake, but the view of the lake is priceless.
- Moderate temperature – Contrary to the beachfront areas, Lake Chapala is very moderate; while it definitely gets lots of sun and is warm, it’s never sweltering hot. The winter evenings are like late summer back home; warm, sunny days and mild evenings, perfect to put on a sweater, but not cold. The summer has a rainy season that brings everything to a living, fresh greenness.
- Small-town lifestyle – The communities on Lake Chapala are small towns. The most important of these are Chapala and Ajijic, not too far away from each other. There are several other villages between and beyond, but none feel like a city; cobble stone roads and small white homes with red tile roofs define the atmosphere.
- Modern services and conveniences – Despite this small town atmosphere, there are modern services within these towns, like a Walmart and nice clinics. Everything that cannot be found in these towns can be found in the large city of Guadalajara less than an hour away. A major international airport is one of these items.
- Low cost of living – The cost of living in these towns is low. Besides stores like Walmart, residents can buy goods in local markets, which are not only inexpensive but very fresh with healthy, high-quality food. Bills and life’s little luxuries are also comfortably affordable.
- Nice real estate options – Of course, it’s important that there’s selection in real estate. Buyers can choose from large modern homes with spacious yards or low-maintenance condos. Countryside properties are also available.
- Low cost of real estate – Last but not least, this real estate, like the lifestyle, is very affordable.
With the combination of these features, most people don’t end up asking themselves if they can afford to retire here, but more usually, if they can afford not to retire here!
TOPMexicoRealEstate.com; Mexico's Leading Network of Specialists for Finding and Purchasing Mexican Properties Safely