Many Americans and Canadians (rightfully) see something romantic in the idea of living in a classic old home in a city built in a time when beauty was as important as practicality. While Europe is simply out of reach for average North Americans, there are excellent options in Mexico, like Merida real estate, on Mexico’s second largest colonial historic center, located on the Yucatan Peninsula.
If you are one of those dreaming of living this lifestyle, you don’t need to be content with dreaming; prices are accessible to all and any budgets. However, you do have to take some active steps to make this dream a reality.
1. Dream - Dream big and be specific. How do you imagine your colonial dream home? Large with a courtyard with a fountain, arches, talavera tiles, stonework, wooden beams, high ceilings? Let your imagination go. Write down what you like. Not everything may be possible, but you never know …
2. Look At Merida Homes For Sale – Now you want to connect your dream to reality. Go online and look at listings for homes for sale in Merida. Browse through them. Look at the prices (you’ll be pleasantly surprised, to say the least!) How many of them have the features you were dreaming about? Maybe you’ll find the one that is just right. Even if you don’t, this is the time to get a feel. The final search and decision will come later.
3. Evaluate Your Budget & Explore Financing – Early on, you will want to be sure that you know where your budget limits are. There is something for every budget, but you don’t want to advance to the closing process for a beautiful colonial home only to find out that it doesn’t fit into your budget. Explore financing. In Mexico mortgages and safe and legally protected seller financing can be options.
4. Consider Building Your Own – Yucatan land for sale can be found for good prices; there is no reason you can’t have a new home built in a colonial style with many (or all) of the same elements listed above. There are high-quality experienced builders that offer good prices. You might also consider buying a lot out of the city; there are plenty of nice residential lots in the surrounding towns, on the beachfront (20 min away.) There are also large countryside parcels where your custom colonial-style home could be the center of a personal estate.
5. Find the Right Agent to Make It Reality – Now you will have a good idea of where you want to go. Finding a qualified, experienced agent will be the key to finding that property that is just right for you. The steps above allow you to define your dream more concretely; telling these details to your agent will allow them to find the best property for you.
Your search for a colonial home will be an exciting experience, most importantly because soon you will be enjoying life in the romantic city of Merida. Enjoy the search and take the steps necessary to make your dream reality!
TOPMexicoRealEstate.com; Mexico's Leading Network of Specialists for Finding and Purchasing Mexican Properties Safely