There are many thrilling activities to do when you’re in the Riviera Maya. One of the most interesting and refreshing is snorkeling! And there is no shortage of places for you to indulge. Continue reading
Riviera Maya offers a diverse dive-site portfolio for scuba diving, from big-animal encounters to western Caribbean coral reefs.
Besides the glorious beaches and the world renowned archaeological site, Tulum has yet another attraction you should visit: the astonishing Biosphere Reserve of Sian Ka’an, a magical place that you must visit if you’re in the Riviera Maya. If you’re interested in eco-tourism, you consider yourself a conscious traveler and you care about the environment, then visiting Sian Ka’an is for you.
This Biosphere is one of the many natural beauties that our planet has for us to enjoy; here you will find thousands of species of flora and fauna, both terrestrial and marine, some of which are unique of this environment. Sian Ka’an is home of thousands of animals that found comfort and easily have fitted in this magnificent place.
It’s important to highlight the fact that Sian Ka’an was declared a World Heritage Site in 1987 by the UNESCO. This title is only given to sites with highly natural or cultural value for the general heritage for the humanity. For this, and many others reasons, this is one of the most protected areas in the Mexican Caribbean. Sian Ka’an Biosphere covers 10% of the State of Quintana Roo, with a total size of 150,000 hectares.
Also, Sian Ka’an is part of the program “Man and Biosphere” (MAB), this Project is dedicated to improve the relation between people and their environment.
If you’re into nature and you like to be surrounded by its beauty, then the Biosphere Reserve of Sian Ka’an is the perfect place for you. Enjoy a peaceful getaway and go camping while you coexist with nature. There are different activities available, like taking a boat ride to discover the amazing crystal-clear waters. If you like snorkeling, book a tour to the reef for an amazing adventure. It’s said that the coral reef is made out of 84 different species of coral… I bet you want to see that yourself! To finish an amazing journey, sit and relax in one of the few boutique hotels or camping sites to admire the sunset or gaze at the starry night; the perfect way to end the day!
- The best way to get to the reserve is by car or motorbike. Public transportation is scarce, and finding a taxi to go back to Tulum can be a challenge, so don’t risk getting stranded there.
- Plan ahead and carry everything that you will need to make your trip prosperous. Include a mosquito repellent, enough water, food and snacks, and of course, a camera so you can keep all the memories from this fantastic paradise… and it’s even better if you have a waterproof camera!
- Be conscious and respect the environment. The unique and incomparable biodiversity found here must be kept clean and every visitor must respect the environment. If coming here is in your plans, help us to conserve this World Heritage site!
- Be careful. Even when the road has a good share of traffic, the beaches at the reserve are almost empty. Swim carefully and avoid risks; if you find yourself in trouble, finding help can take some time.
- Some areas of the lagoon are known for being home of crocodiles. If you book a tour through the lagoon, make sure to double check with your guide if it’s safe to swim before jumping out of the boat!
Live an eco-sustainable experience and have fun in a different and unique way in the Biosphere Reserve of Sian Ka’an!