If you are ever in Mexico City, you have to visit Xochimilco. This magical town is located south of the downtown area, and it is one of the most traditional tourist destinations in the country.
Xochimilco was established in the pre-Hispanic period and it covers an area of 125 km2 (48 sq. miles). This destination is best known for its canals, and its artificial islands called chinampas; where tourists can ride on colorful gondola-like boats called “trajineras”.
Think of color, food, music and fiesta; all rolled in with some tequila or cervezas. The trajineras offer a ride through the different neighborhoods and attractions while offering traditional Mexican dishes, drinks and mariachis serenade you with romantic or lively songs.
Xoximilco: A Cool Alternative in the Riviera Maya
If this sounds like a fun experience that you can not miss, but you don’t have any plan in the near future to visit Mexico city; there is an alternative right here in the Riviera Maya… Xoximilco. This amazing park is part of the Xcaret group and it offers visitors in the Riviera Maya the opportunity to experience a fiesta in a trajinera.
Each of the boats in Xoximilco is decorated to celebrate the traditions of different Mexican states, including elements of their history, culture and traditional food. This is a fun opportunity to learn more about Mexico and its culture.
Xoximilco: What is Included?
Each trajinera has a long party table and can hold up to 20 people, allowing you to have fun with family and friends. It is easy to enjoy yourself when all the food, drinks and activities are included:
- Live music including mariachi, marimba and bolero.
- Mexican cuisine and typical desserts.
- Three-course tasting dinner with the best Mexican dishes.
- Open bar with tequila, beers and traditional non-alcoholic drinks (fruit juices).
- Night tour in the trajinera throughout the channels.
Xoximilco: Before You Go
- Xoximilco is a great place for those that like to party, a festive attitude will make the experience so much better. If you are traveling alone or as a couple, be prepared to be seated next to strangers as each boat can hold 20 people. This is a great opportunity to meet other travelers.
- Remember this is a tour through canals and there are many insects in this area. Bring your eco-friendly and biodegradable insect repellent, and if possible wear long pants and a long sleeved top.
- Kids under the age of 4 enter for free, but the park recommends this tour for kids 5 years of age or older. This is a 3 hour long night tour in a noisy environment, keep this in mind when deciding whether to bring the kids or not. All children need to be accompanied by an adult at all times.
This is an ideal activity for big groups, family reunions and celebrations. Embrace the fiesta and visit Xoximilco, it is so much fun!
Top Mexico Real Estate is an American-owned real estate company based in Playa del Carmen, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. We specialize in helping foreigners become homeowners in Mexico in a safe and legal manner.
You can start your Mexican dream by visiting our website and learning everything you need to know about living, retiring or investing in Mexico. Contact our expert sales representatives and let us help you find the home of your dreams.
Top Mexico Real Estate…
We Make It Happen!